Thursday, September 15, 2011

How do I remove the fan in front of the pulley on my water pump, so I can change my water pump? 91, 318i?

I cant get the damn pulley off??How do I remove the fan in front of the pulley on my water pump, so I can change my water pump? 91, 318i?I think you need a special tool %26quot;puller or extracter%26quot; which you can buy or hire from tool shops.How do I remove the fan in front of the pulley on my water pump, so I can change my water pump? 91, 318i?take the bolts out and it should come off, if it doesn't hit the back of the fan blade with a rubber hammer as it might have some rust holding it.How do I remove the fan in front of the pulley on my water pump, so I can change my water pump? 91, 318i?If you can get the water pump off without removeing the fan it will be easier to remove the fan after. Otherwise you'll need to loosen the fan bolts not all the way out and use a screw driver for leverage and get a wrench on the big nut. It does depend on the type of fan you have. You may need to get a big puller. Harbor frieght has a set of 3 that are very resonabley priced. With out looking at it or knowing what type of car you have It's hard to tell.How do I remove the fan in front of the pulley on my water pump, so I can change my water pump? 91, 318i?The nut that holds the fan on the water pump must be turned clockwise to loosen it,if you do not have a wrench that will fit in there you can use along screw driver and hammer locate the tip of the screw driver on the edge of the nut and hit the other side of the screw driver with the hammer one or two blows should do it,and then spin the fan and see if the nut turnes.If this does not work you need to get the proper wrench.I have done both but i had to buy the wrench from Snap On and another tool to hold the water pump bolts.How do I remove the fan in front of the pulley on my water pump, so I can change my water pump? 91, 318i?I have a 91 318is and I had that same problem.



First off, I always pull the radiator, seems like with that engine so tightly stuffed in there, it's the only way to make any room to work with. Remember it has 3 (yes, three) water hoses connecting to it, also when you put it back in, I use electrical cable ties to secure it (makes the next removal easier).



The fan is easy once you get that out, it's the pulley I never could get off!!! The manual suggests you secure the pulley in order to loosen that effin' bolt...



I still couldn't get it off, I ended up taking it someplace.

Hope you have better luck, but yeah, pull the radiator and shroud out of the way.How do I remove the fan in front of the pulley on my water pump, so I can change my water pump? 91, 318i?These fans are called the viscous fan,there are 4 ten mill bolts on the front of the fan and you have to hold blades of the fan with 1 hand and with the other loosen the bolts you will need to use a socket and a rachet but it is very tricky and to do it correctly you will need some mechanical experience so i advice to take it to your local garage otherwise in the long run you do some serious damage to youe engine if you do not fit it back correctly,How do I remove the fan in front of the pulley on my water pump, so I can change my water pump? 91, 318i?Hi Bill, There are many types of viscus fans %26amp; not sure of yours, does it have a large nut-head between back of fan %26amp; pump? If so i can possibly save you a lot of trouble. If your intrested just ask. Good luck.How do I remove the fan in front of the pulley on my water pump, so I can change my water pump? 91, 318i?Do you have the viscouse clutch type fan, ( can you turn the blade freely by hand)? If so you need a 32mm wrench with a slight off set. available at halfords. Turn the large nut behind the clutch unit clockwise (lefthand thread). Should be out your way then. Otherwise its a fixed fan, make sure you got all the bolts, and some carefull persuasion.

Good luck!How do I remove the fan in front of the pulley on my water pump, so I can change my water pump? 91, 318i?either get a 32mm spanner or use a chisel and big hammer its us ally left hand thread