Monday, September 19, 2011

Is it necessary to remove the exhaust manifold, to change the water pump on a 1999 oldsmobile alero?

nope your exhaust manifold is on the side of the engine where the water pump is in the front all you have to do is remove the radiator but make sure that you drain it( try to save as much anti-freeze if possible) once the radiator is removed the next step is to loosen the fan belt, remove the belt and remove the screws that is holding the fan blade remove fan blade



Or you can ignore all this what i have said and go out and buy a Chilton's auto book for your automobile it'll have step by step illustrations on how to change the water pump and other fun things to do.Is it necessary to remove the exhaust manifold, to change the water pump on a 1999 oldsmobile alero?No, I have not specifically worked on that car but you will have to remove everything above the water pump and if I remember correctly you have to support the motor and remove the engine mount...I could be wrong but I am pretty sure this is what I remember. You should definately pick up a repair manual at your local parts store before you start this project.



EDIT: ignore the guy above me....the alero is a front wheel drive car, so the water pump is on the passenger side of the engine compartment, not the front and the radiatior is on the front....Is it necessary to remove the exhaust manifold, to change the water pump on a 1999 oldsmobile alero?Although I have not worked on that particular model I say that the exhaust manifold is not connected and therefore does not have to be removed (depending on cars the intake could be a different matter). I suggest to you, as I would to any %26amp; all who take the challenge of doing their own automotive work on a older vehicle, and that is you buy a step by step repair manual (such as Clinton's or Chilton's), which can save you alot of time and mistakes.