Friday, September 23, 2011

Change Water Pump Belt. Help!?

I have a '93 Mazda Protege and my water pump belt just snapped. Does anybody know how to replace it and how simple it is to do?Change Water Pump Belt. Help!?http://www.mazda3forums.com



you can register on her and ask the members good idea.Change Water Pump Belt. Help!?it is more than likly on a pully so just loosen the pully put on the belt and tighten the pully backupChange Water Pump Belt. Help!?Does your the Mazda have one or two belts?

They can both be easy depending on model and clearance.



I know yours snapped but I will give you the whole run down.



If it has one belt for the whole engine then you find the tensioner pulley and put a breaker bar with right size socket on it and push against it and that take off tension. With other hand remove belt. Kinda hard your first time but it gets easier next time you need to do it. Then after you have removed the belt you simply run the new belt around the pulleys. There should be a diagram if you forgot how it went. After the belt is the proper way and you get back to the tensioner. Simply put the breaker bar on it again and push against it and slip belt under and your down!



If you have more then one belt on the front.

You find which pulleys it is on and look for a tensioner. If it doesn't have a tensioner then you need to loosen something to remove the tension. I always pick the easiest thing. Practice will help you decide. After getting slack, add the belt to the pulleys and put tension back on. Do not make it to tight though.



I would say that the best thing to do is find a chassis manual for it and it will show a breakdown of it.

I recommend going to your local library and looking for the manuals there. Even if you can't find a legit manual there at least they will have the auto store ones and will save you some money. I am very fortunate for what my local library has.

I DO NOT recommend the manuals you can get at the auto parts stores. The Chilton's and the Haynes manuals are hit and miss.

I have done to much work because someone thought they could do it themselves and bought a manual only for it to say %26quot;Take to dealer%26quot; Well whats the point and buying a manual to do it yourself if it tells you to take it to the dealer?



Also check the forum boards. I have found them to be a wonderful resource myself.