Friday, September 23, 2011

Is it possible to change the water pump on a 97 Z-28 Camaro without removing the shrowd, fans,and radiator?

The fan has to be removed and so does the shrowd, but not the radiator.



Good luck.Is it possible to change the water pump on a 97 Z-28 Camaro without removing the shrowd, fans,and radiator?yea/but the mechanic has to have very short arms/other wise noIs it possible to change the water pump on a 97 Z-28 Camaro without removing the shrowd, fans,and radiator?I had to pull the water pump on my LT1 to replace the optispark - it is very difficult to access that area - you need to at least pull the fans to access it.



This is possible in the driveway if you put the front up on jackstands (it doesn't have to be too high - enough for you to access from both above and below without struggling). You can then slide the fan assembly down, angle it and pull it out from below. I pulled the radiator, just so I could clean and repaint the lower plate holding the radiator.



My suggestion - while your at it, when you pull the water pump, I suggest you bite the bullet, spend some extra money and change out the optispark (unless you haven't done so already). If you have over 70k miles on your engine, your opti is closing in on failing, particularly if your water pump has been piddling on it. The opti can only come out if you pull the water pump, so this could be a good time to do it, and service the opti seal in the cover to prevent leaks. On mine, I did everything - hoses opti, pump wires and plugs - while I was under the car.



Good luck!