Monday, September 19, 2011

How do I change a water pump on a 1989 Chevy Silverado. Two wheel drive 350 engine?

http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us/090How do I change a water pump on a 1989 Chevy Silverado. Two wheel drive 350 engine?I take it you've never done this before. There's only 4 bolts holding the water pump on BUT... there are going to be other things that need to come off first. Here's my question- if you don't know how to fix it, how do you know what's wrong?



I'd suggest you get a tech manual if this is something you want to learn how to do. Typing it here is not going to take longer than doing the job and I can't show you pictures.



I took a look at the link the guy below me put in. It doesnt show you how to remove the fan, fan shroud, the belts (or the diagram to show you the routing of the serpentine belt) remove the old studs from the waterpump (as in the neat trick on how to get that done) that you should put in a new thermostat when you replace the pump, the proper mix of coolant to use, whether or not you're using dex-cool and which coolants will mix with it and will NOT mix with it etc.



I guess you can tell I've done a lot of these. It's not hard to do IF you have the tools, IF you have the time and IF you have the knowledge. It's even easier to screw it up if you don't know what you're doing.



You're going to need to do some reading if you want to do it right.



Good Luck.